Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Scary checkpoint - why?!?

We’ve been told check points exist for our own safety and I’ve so far accepted that without a second thought. When my car was stopped in the past, they asked for my ID and then I was sent on my way. I don’t know if this has changed because the other day the process was longer and, moreover, scary.

I was on the way home along Galle Road and a bit past Barefoot I was stopped at a checkpoint. I was asked to park the car and walk up to the sheltered box-like structure under which an army guy and 2 police officers stood. I handed over my ID and was asked for the license as well. One police officer came out of the boxlike structure and stood closely beside me while the other officer proceeded to write down my name, address and what not in some sort of ledger. The officer beside me studied the license closely commenting on the license photo as compared to how I look now. After this thorough examination of the ID and license I was asked to sign beside my name in that ledger.

I thought it was quite strange that we’re now asked to sign ledgers and thereby have to get out of the vehicle. My dad said, sometimes they search the car (including under the driver’s seat) and hence asks the driver to get out…but in my case, the car was glanced at once (to write down the license plate number) and that was it.

The issue I have is the fact that I, a girl (a very tiny one at that), needed to leave the relative safety of my car to walk to a box like structure manned by 3 men. Unfortunately, when you've been forced to see the ugly animal-istic side of the male species, even a man who stands too close to me in the supermarket queue quite honestly makes me call upon all my will power to stay standing while every cell in my brain screams to run fast in the other direction. Therefore, that day at that checkpoint, I was so scared, when I signed that ledger I couldn’t remember for the life of me what my signature looked like and ended up printing my name in a very child-like scrawl. And on the way home as soon as the checkpoint disappeared from my rear-view mirror, I needed to pull up and calm myself down.

While I admit my own reaction at the time may have not been normal altogether, isn’t there still something inherently unsafe about one girl having to approach three men standing in a alcove-like place? The idea is that they are there for my security, for my safety, but at the end of the day, while they are members of security forces, they are also men. And they are people almost twice my size. And I, unfortunately, cannot live in a bubble-like make believe world where people ideally never hurt each other. They do. People known to you, that you trust for whatever whacky reasons, can turn around and in one second leave the rest of your life nightmare-riddled. And that day, I felt extremely vulnerable standing before these three men while they looked me up and down and studied my ID.

Maybe I don't know enough about security matters and counter-terrorism measures, but is there really no better way to provide us with security without heightening our sense of personal insecurity?

14 comments:

Sachini said...

What time did this happen? I don't think you've mentioned it anywhere and was wondering if this was in the night.

I don't know about having to sign because so far we have never been stopped at a checkpoint even though we pass so many everyday. (Maybe you look suspicious :p) The only time my ID was checked was one day early morning when a bunch of us were going home after a party and we were made to get out of the vehicle but no signing business.

While I agree that checkpoints are essential, I do have a problem with most soldiers who man the checkpoints. Just today I was walking past LC (Flower Rd) minding my own business when a soldier said "Miss Miss" and then made a silly and unnecessary comment (in other words line ekak damma).

And this is something that happens all the time. The one time I tried to ignore one of them I was called back and told to never do that again. And as a citizen of the country I'm willing to cooperate with soldiers at checkpoints and let them check my ID if that's what they want. But most of the time that's not the case and even then you don't have the choice of ignoring them.

Darth Teddy said...

I agree with you ... I don't think the general public that these guys are supposedly there to "protect" matter anymore. Understood that they are fighting for our country and we repect that but it doesn't mean that just cause they have a gun and uniform they can treat us like escaped convicts.

Manshark said...

Sach: This happened about 5.30pm on the Poya Day..hence Galle Road was pretty deserted..but what I kept thinking afterwards was..it could very well happen at any given time..even after dark when it would have been scarier I think..But it was mainly the hut thingy that I had to walk to there that made me feel extremely vulnerable :(

And yea, the signing - no idea what that was about..but there were about 10 other lines of details and signatures above mine..so I'm assuming it's some sort of 'normal' practice.

Jack Point said...

Check on your rights. I think they can't ask you to leave your car unless a policewoman is present, especially at night.

A friend of mine was stopped at one in the morning and she refused to get out. They argued but she stood her ground and they just checked her papers while she was in the car.

Find out the exact law and then stick to your rights, don't compromise on safety, this country in no longer a safe place.

Kaiser Kobayashi said...

sharky, i belive your talking about the police/airforce checkpoint. been stopped there quite a few times during all times of the day! yes its routine to be asked to step out and sign the book and no you shouldnt be too worried at this particular place. HOWEVER if the point is manned by ONLY the police be a bit careful coz some cops are crooked bastards who will try to intimidate you and get cash off you. the point near my house (Pamankada bridge) is notorious for this nonsense! Airforce and Army points are generally alright...its the cops you should be a bit weary about. so relax...no one is going to hurt lil manshark... :) Also if they DO harass you be sure to write down their badge numbers and try to get down a name or two...i know your head will probably be spinning and you'll be all fraked out but you CAN get justice if they mistreat you but make sure you know who was mean to you (general "i got harressed last night near barefoot" doesnt work) and finally if you DO get into shit, CALL SOMEONE ASAP!!!! you dont have to be alone when the shit hits the ceiling...! call dimi he'll come with his airforce ID, his oozing influence and bail you out!!! :p hehehe :D

I know a airforce private who said he'd rather get shot at in trench's than check cars on galle road! nobody likes it...but its a must with all these crazed bombers running around loose...heheh i know lets blame the NGO's for this crap...dimi loves doing that :D

Takecare Sharky.

pissek said...

Your situation can simply be identified as social anxiey disorder. Many girls I know in Sri Lanka, are sort of "EEK A MOUSE" type of girls. Out of the circle (family, school) of protection they are like naked wirms. Solution ? Recruit psychotherapists to work at check points, or cure "EEK A MOUSE" type girls like you.
It is you who mention the supermarket thing.
Nothing personal with you, but I think you need help

Manshark said...

Jackpoint: Not sure if I'd have the nerve to argue with a gun-toting dude..but I'm definitely gonna check up on what I have to do and don't.. :s Tnx!

Dimi: Signing the book thing I can live with..it's the approaching 3 men inside a hut thing that scares me..esp since I also had to stand listening to the license-wielding dude's barrage of unmasked "flatterings", etc and the breathing down my neck bit.. But you'll definitely be entered on my speed dial ok? And thank youuuu for offering to talk your way out of my (future) bad situations..*hugs (minus the otu hair)* :D

Pissek: Are you telling me you don't know ANY males who don't get up on chairs screeching when they see a mouse?!? *astounded by this blatant lack of observation on the pissa's part*.. and of course I need help..I'm sitting here replying to your sad-ass comment aren't I?? However, I do like the idea of psychotherapists at checkpoints..easier to consult 'em that way instead of sitting in waiting rooms with the likes of you, neda? :D

Anonymous said...

There are some checkpoints where we've had to sign...I've actually found the army guys to be a lot more polite this time as opposed to the bloody scary they were back in the day...but then I'm a guy.

But I've also had some friends who've had some bad experiences, some don't wear skirts anymore (the girls of course:) because they get singled out to get out of the car. Always dial someone you know when you get stopped and keep them on the phone...also note the id numbers...stay safe! :)

Anonymous said...

When your stopped at checkpoints, call someone and say where your stopped and stay on the line....its safest.

Loved your reply to 'pissek' above :) Stay cool!

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

Ah.. you've had the experiences.. well one thing i've noted is that it's not generalization. It is just man.. men.. there are good men and then there are bad men.. women too :) but you know what i mean.. toughtse part is identifying them by face. we just can't. What is the best thing to do? Can anyone answere that question?

Turtle said...

finally blogging again thank god.
you really know how to handle pissas heh.
well, from last year, the couple times i got stopped, once they just checked the car and my ID while i sat in the car, and the time they asked me to come out, i handed over the ID and said, "mang methana innam". only in a very weak mumble even and they had no problem with that. you should try that next time hehe.

pissek said...

Making a big Issue out of me?

Manshark said...

N: Will do..This also be a good reason why I should re-credit the mob asap! :)

Anon: Stay cool?!? In this 30C heat?? Easier said than done! :op

Turtle: Somehow I can't seem to bother myself to blog more..as a genius once said, when you've got a lot of time on your hands, you get real careful how you waste it! :D ..and yea, me does find pissas good entertainment! And ok, I'll try the weak mumble also next time..which means I'll stop the car, ring friend, hand over the ID, mumble weakly to police dude and talk to friend..oh dear..the things we gotta do to earn some peace! :(

Pissek: I would, had I had more time to waste..but I don't, you warrior I-ain't-afraid-of-no-mouse you!! :op

Manshark said...

Mr Evil: Me didn't see your comment..Me is possibly going blind!:'( To your question, I don't know if anyone else can answer that question, but I certainly can not!! But I shall take along a mob that works and a weak mumble next time around..and if things don't look too good..shall take to my heels :D