Thursday, December 14, 2006

Going home - the scary and the hope :o)

Tonight I go back home to Sri Lanka and I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit this week. There are things I look forward to, but there are lots of things that also scare me. This fear, I think, is rooted in the fact that I have come to realize that I don’t really know Sri Lanka. I grew up in Colombo, and I don’t think I knew the real Sri Lanka except in glimpses here and there. It is as Arthur Jarvis said, in Alan Paton's Cry, The Beloved Country, of growing up in South Africa:

One can ride, as I rode when I was a boy, over green hills and into great valleys. One can see, as I saw when I was a boy, the reserves of the Bantu people and see nothing of what was happening there at all… One can read, as I read when I was a boy, the brochures about lovely South Africa, that land of sun and beauty sheltered from the storms of the world, and feel pride in it and love for it, and yet know nothing about it at all. It is only as one grows up that one learns of the hates and fears of our country. It is only then that one’s love grows deep and passionate, as a man may love a woman who is true, false, cold, loving, cruel and afraid.

What I know of the real Sri Lanka is so little because as a teenager growing up, one lives (at least I did) in a bubble where there’s so much going on – school, exams, sport, emotional roller-coasters – that you don’t let yourself really open your eyes and look around you…except for a brief cursory glance. It really is when you start growing up that you learn of the real storms thundering around you. But I did that growing up elsewhere, outside of Sri Lanka. I saw bits of Sri Lanka through these new “grown up” eyes during holidays – but that’s really what they were in the end – holidays in which I saw things, heard things, but left behind at the end of the month.

I did my growing up and the real seeing and hearing in Melbourne. I did find a lot of 'good' here, but in end, I can’t reconcile myself to accept the pile of bad no matter how sparkly the pile of good glitters. Men arrive on these shores with only the clothes on their back, for fear of their lives, and are locked up like common criminals; and families which were victimised and broken apart by fundamentalists elsewhere are once again victimised and broken apart by liberals here – again and again. There's nothing as painful as watching a grown man cry for his wife, for his children; there's nothing as uplifting as promising him you'd find a way; and there's nothing to compare to the fear that keeps you awake night after night afraid of other men's policies that'll make your words drown in nothingness. In some ways, I'm leaving because I know I don't want to stay.

When I return to Sri Lanka, I return to what I'd seen only in glimpses here and there over the last couple of decades. But also buried deep within those slightly thundery unsure images and the “golden beaches” of brochures and postcards, I also carry a few special images; rare glimpses of real radiance like the complete untouched beauty of the morning fog over Lokgaloya. I found that unexpectedly, the breath caught in my throat, as I passed through on the way elsewhere.

So I leave behind the country I could not really connect with, the country that destroyed my faith in simple humanity. I know I will never return to Melbourne. For me, that golden ball of fire in the sky here is a hypocrite; lighting the blue skies whilst a dark thundery cloud lies hidden on the horizon; firing mundane trees to blanket whole areas in thick grey fog.

Yes, it's inevitable that I’ll see such dark clouds in the blue skies of Sri Lanka too. Yet that is MY country and right now, that seems to make all the difference. And so here's hoping for real love for Sri Lanka in the coming months and years. And maybe, just maybe, even real and dramatic enough to be deep and passionate, as a man may love a woman who is true, false, cold, loving, cruel and afraid.

Painting: Monet's Red Kerchief

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey...you just put into words everything that I've felt since I finished uni and moved to the US instead of back to SL...good luck with the move! I have to sit it out for another two years before I can get back for good myself :(

Anonymous said...

well, good luck in your endevours.

You may be disappointed - in time, all depnds on how well you come to know the place. Sometimes ignorance is bliss....

Mariangela Hills said...

Hey Manshark, I guess you must have had similar thoughts and fears when you left for Melbourne. Coz im guessing that like many others you had to weather the storms of a new land by yourself.

Hmmm, change in which ever form is really hard. (leaving for another country, news job etc.) I guess its just human nature to be scared and to be worried. Nevertheless, later on down the line when we look back on our lives we realize that we weathered life’s storms pretty well and that things weren’t that bad after all.

Trust me when you reunite with your family and all your old friends it will be as though you are picking up from where you left off. So chill…..

I admire you for the fact that you stuck it out there and did your studies in a foreign land. Coz it sure takes guts and a whole load of self-confidence to do so.

Hope that you have a safe journey. God speed…

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

Oh holy.. well.. this country will probably be a better plac for the while ur here :P

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Good luck Manshark, I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for. Nice post too.

Niroshan said...

You have a very captivating writing style. Coupled with the thought of home it gave me goose bumps.

halwis said...

i am sure you are sleeping off the jet-lag as i write this...
the thoughts you have so gracefully rendered in words here are part of a cycle of thoughts in my own mind. i can relate to them in part because i am also in Melbourne - having just finished my studies, but i grew up in Sri Lanka and had never left her shores until i came here.
still, i get caught up in this cycle of thoughts... and it saddens me, and confuses me even more, when the lady at my local post office talks so politely and even waves at me with a smile when i walk by... and i remember the lady at my local post office in Kandy who never so much as had a smile on her face... whose grumbling look scared me when ever i had to venture in to buy aerogrammes. it surprises me and pleases me in a strange way to know, that we still seek the refuge and warmth of our own even though that warmth may burn us, than yield our souls to a stranger.

Anonymous said...

you know where arthur jarvis went after writing that, dont you? :(

Anonymous said...

ps. that's all i could think of saying that was NEW. everything else is where it stood: you write amazingly well.

Manshark said...

n: Tnx! And I'm sure the 2 yrs will whizz by before you know it :o)

jack point: Tnx! Well, seeing as I've enjoyed the bliss for a number of yrs now..guess it's time for reality!

angel eyes; Rhythmic; Niroshan: Thank youuuu! :o)

Mr Evil: Is that a compliment? A hope? Or a wish? :os

Haren: I'm not sure I'd judge a country by one person's reaction to me just cos both these ladies you've mentioned may have their own joys and sorrows that have nothing to do with me or the general population. On the other hand, something that bothered me a lot in Melbourne is how ppl ask how I am, or say please and thank you with the utmost cheer to everyone in the same way and don't always remember you the next time around as opposed to the slight tilt of the head, the shy smile accompanied by the waggling head of the wizened man in the grocery shop I stop by in Lanka..I find the latter much more genuine and therefore so warmly welcome.. :oD

jokerman: Yes I do :o( but had he not, there'd be less of a story in there, neda?? And that means less beautiful writing!! *horror!* :op And thank you!! - After To Helen, a compliment by you on my writing makes me feel 10 feet tall (and that's almost dbl my size!) which means I can now get to the cookie jar!!:oD

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

Compliment, Hope or a wish? Hmmm.. Let's say compliment :D

halwis said...

well, point taken. i just meant it as an example - though it's hard to genaralise these things. i mean, you get all sorts everywhere neda? i suppose its also partly about how we make up our minds about it. they tell me that the only remedy for 'Chikun Gunya' is panadol and rest - considering that the average recovery time is 1.5 months, that sounds like a sort of a vacation plan...