Monday, September 04, 2006

Yellow to Red to Orange

It's weird how you wake up in the morning and go about your day not knowing that you're going to meet someone and when you meet him, he'll say something to you and BOOM! your life will change.

This is what happened last Friday.

And when you wake up the next day you realize that everything in your life has been stupid, stupid, stupid

It's like life barrells down in yellows and then someone comes along and leaks a bit of red into it and it all turns orange and there's nothing you can do about it except see everything else for the rest of your life through that orange, orange haze

And I have finally understood most of the song Misere (Cat Empire):

/Do you ever look around/ turn your ear to the ground/ show your face to the sky/ on a night when the skies echo sounds/ from inside of your mind/ on the stage that you shone/ where the sun did become you/ and move with your thoughts/ through the sighs and the scenes/ of the worlds you have seen/ and the sights that have been/ your reflection in shadows and dreams?/

Did you ever see a man/ who did walk down the street/ white robe with no shoes on his feet/ and on top of his head place a box/ with two slits/ and the sign from his neck said/ ‘I do not exist’/ or a woman who could not remember/ her name/ did stutter and stutter/ again and again/ and saw you and called you her son/ her eyes said/ ‘my being is gone/ but still I’m not dead’?/

/Miserere/

/Have you ever seen a sound/ have you listened to an image/.../ have you ever told a lie/ that was true more than truth/ because truth it had lied/ all its life when it spoke to you?/ And what did it say/ it is that it is this/ this goes here here is there/ it is not yes it is/ it was dulling your senses/ your eyes they were bound/ have you ever my friends/ been looking around?/

/And the other replies/ with a wave of a hand/ I am already here/ in this promised land/ but not by a god and not by a king/ and not by a spirit/ deep from within/ I am here/ because a miracle’s a whim/ it’s a flash of glory/ it’s an empty tin/ and maybe might lets you in/ not to save you/ but to keep on looking/

/Miserere/

/Do you ever look around/ and find what is yet to be found?/

And so henceforth, through this newly acquired orange haze I will notice the man who does not exist, the woman who exists without a being, the truth that has (so badly) dulled my senses cos a miracle is indeed a (very) empty tin and I've now realized that it's there not to save you but to only make you keep looking.

And hopefully everytime I want more I'll remember to stop to look around; to see that which I am looking for.

12 comments:

Deane said...

Hey sorry didnt c that Q u asked me @ sach's blog.

Left a response here :

http://sachini-perera.blogspot.com/2006/08/condom-fashion.html

Manshark said...

Hey Deane,

Tnx for that! Yes, I think I was talking about the prog that was done at this July festival..cos I came across it on the Beyond Borders website.

Will keep my eyes peeled for this ToT prog..sounds interesting - great initiative!

And yes, 'Manshark' has confused many (there's an even more complicated story behind that!)..and I do prefer 'dude' to, say, 'dudette'! Lol ;oD

Cheers,M

Sachini said...

Hello.

I love the metaphor with colours. If you take that theory further, you could say that our lives are a myriad of colours, each person stopping by adding another colour. And it is up to us to decide whether we want to mix those colours to our own. But sometimes we don't have the luxury of deciding. And depending on the context that can be beautiful or disturbing.

Sorry about the rant but it's a very interesting idea to buld on.

Anonymous said...

So much pain?
I very much like the colour metaphore too and I like your writing.Please write more everyday because every morning I like starting my day reading your blogs. You have many ways. angry funny and so sad. They make me think. One today make me see other things in different ways. How do you think like this? I never can.

I wish it was me who make you inspire so much thinking.

I want to tell you: if it sometimes get too "orange" remember there is someone thinking of you far away.

Anonymous said...

one courtesy call deserves another! hence this, my twocentsworth:

You can sit by people for hours and never notice them, never remember them, never think about them. Sometimes you pretend to, sometimes you pretend not to. And most times you don’t have to. You don’t have to know what they want; you don’t need to know who they are. Sometimes you consciously shut them away from yourself. Who knows why? Maybe they’re useless in your scheme of things. Sometimes they flash into significance — they occur to you. And then flash out again. You don’t bother whether they exist unless you need them. You don’t know whether they breathe unless their breath smells bad. Someone who pushes at your shoulder in the bus. The man who walks past your house with a shopping bag, every day - sometimes you see him, sometimes you’re asleep, sometimes you’re out - but he walks that road every day. You’re so aware of some people and things that others simply fade out.

But it’s still there, all of it. Always there. It just isn’t there for you.

So you see, I believe in ghosts. do you?

Manshark said...

Sach: Very true what you say about how sometimes we don't have the luxury of deciding if we want all these different colours mixed with our own. And I guess most of your life you go around taking in other's colours and perhaps even giving out yours too but not really knowing till one day a colour gets thrown at you so hard that you're very much aware of the mix - or taint as the case maybe.

And on that note, if we ourselves went around giving out our own colour - does that mean we fade? Another Cat Empire lyric comes to mind from In My Pocket:
/If I went away/tropical island somewhere sunny everyday/but everyone I ever cared about remained/would I tan or would I fade?/

Manshark said...

Guy with Attitude: I've no idea what to say..so I'll just leave it at..err..tnx? ;o)


Jokerman: Welcome!

/..it’s still there, all of it. Always there. It just isn’t there for you./

You've summed up exactly what I've realized in the last few days. So yeah, I guess, I'm a 'new believer' of ghosts - every one of them that's out there!

Anonymous said...

hey again!

to use the native idiom as they say, your image of choice, your avatar, is a lampflame.

so does a flame grow less strong as it lights a hundred other wicks?

Manshark said...

Funny you should say that - I was going to say before "do we fade or keep the light we had before like a lamp?"

But going from this colour business I've started here, I would think that our own colours would fade cos as we give ourselves and take the colour changes - so what I knew as 'my' colour would slowly take on a very different colour in the end, don't you think? ;o)

Manshark said...

On an aside, I use the lamp flame as my image of choice not cos of the idiom of one light lighting another and another. It's cos when we light a lamp, the light illuminates one thing (the Buddha, a God, a flower nearby) while it leaves everything else around it in dimness/ darkness. So we come back to what you had said before - all of it is out there always, it just isn't for you (at that moment).

Hence the flame to remind me to be aware of those in darkness as well as those in the light.

God, I am so not getting any work done today!! ;op

Anonymous said...

Yo mAN. U da FiRSt SrI lANkaN i kNow DaT LiKE CAt eMpIRe. COoL MaN KEeP RoCKiN.

Anonymous said...

"to remind me to be aware of those in darkness as well as those in the light"

i decided to let that idea germinate on my page. please have a look-see.. i hope you dont mind, and i hope you contribute!

regards.