Friday, December 08, 2006

Do I really want to be a lawyer?!?

Next Tuesday I sit for (hopefully) my final exam and so this is probably not the time to question the point of the last four years…yet, now that I’m almost at the end, I do question it. I wanted to read and write, write and read all my life, yet law was tempting and when it knocked, I gave in and bid it welcome. And now that I have to decide on a career path and find a job, I really do wonder at it. At the choice I made. And more at the choice I might have let slip past.

There’s a path before you, a path that ends at a cliff, a path you have not walked before. Once you start walking it, you know there can be no returning, not to what you leave behind. So you make a decision to walk, you find someone who makes the sunshine a little bit brighter around you and put one foot in front of the other.

You take their hand and walk, the sweet scent of the world wafting around you. Little stones prick the soft soles, boulders lie across the path, flowers bloom prettily while thorns run down their green stalks. You choose to walk around the boulders, furtively wipe the blood off your fingers and ignore the pricks of pain for if you did not, that path would be walked alone. Alone, in the dark of night when pain is unseen, in the monsoons when tears invisible.

At the end of the path lies the cliff, with the ocean below, yet out of sight. And you don’t know if the waves roll in softly or thunder against the rock. You don’t know if the water is warm and light-dappled or icy and deep. Without the safety of knowing, you need to jump. For you said you would. You took a foot off that cliff, that promising hand in your clammy one, and know now it’s too late to refuse. Too late to run to the footsteps you now suddenly hear behind you. The foot prints you had not stopped to examine before. But it’s too late to run back now for you have committed yourself too much.

If a drowning man clutches at straws, a falling man grabs at anything that floats past. And when you take that jump, what else do you hang on to but optimism? But optimism can be reality’s worst nightmare for it creates hope. It’s the softly fading rainbow of the man losing sight. It makes you search the vacant air for a stray parachute. It keeps the water warm, the sand soft below. And hope never dies. Not till the icy water numbs the pain and you lie on the rocks below, your head splintered, unseeing eyes staring at the empty blue of the sky arching above. Only then, only then, will hope die its silently shattered death.

But who’s to say the parachute will not come?


Now back to the studying...ack!

13 comments:

Sachini said...

LLB doesn't necessarily mean you have to become a lawyer. It is a very good basic degree with which you can branch out to other fields. At least that is the basis on which I started my LLB.

I suppose after years of study it is natural to question your choice. But I'm sure your degree will open up a lot of choices than just becoming a lawyer.

GOod luck with the exam :)

Anonymous said...

"But optimism can be reality’s worst nightmare for it creates hope..."

apart from stating again and again that i wish i'd thought of saying it half as well, there's nothing i can think of writing here. you shouldnt write this well if you want people to comment, you know.

Anonymous said...

This is a pleasant surprise. I'm in agreement with the above commentator. You shouldn't write this well if you want people to comment on this.

I will add my personal opinion however,whatever worth it may be. Theres theres an abundance of lawyers in this world but a dire need for writers who can write well. This is some of the best writing I've come across in a while.

My advice is forget being a lawyer. Write more. You have the world at your feet.

Good luck.

Manshark said...

Sach: Tnx! :o)

Jokerman: *hits him over the head with something VERY heavy* That's all I have to say to you! ;op

Anon: thank you..but I think you're in "dire need" of reading good writing..;op Try this and even better THIS! ;o)

Mariangela Hills said...

Well, I guess that you are not alone in the world. In many ways I feel as though I too can relate to you, because I completed my degree in IT and now im kind of blank as to how I can use I to better my future, because I don’t like programming at all.

I guess all of us somewhere down life’s journey stop and ponder on our lives and wonder whether we made the right choice. But by that time it feels too late to turn back because of all the money spent and the hours of studying you have put into the course.

There are some people out there who are certain of what they want to be and there are some who get confused at times.

I think the best is to follow your instincts and also heed the advice of your peers and most importantly take each day as it comes. If you have the time read the book named “Screw It, Lets Do It” written by Richard Branson, it has food for thought.

All the best for your exams !!!

And I also have to say your writing is awesome you can probably write a book using your talent in your free time. Think about it !!

Anonymous said...

ur definitely not alone on this one.. i still feel uncertain if i did the right thing becoming a doctor..and i graduated almost 5 yrs ago !!

IMHO very few are capable of knowing exactly what they want at the right time and even fewer actually get exactly what they want.. c'est la vie as they say !

good luck with exams !!

halwis said...

Even if you do become a lawyer, you'd never stop writing - and by God you shouldn't stop writing. I just finished studies in Computer Science myself and even though I sort of know the kind of career and life i want to have, all of that has little to do with Computers... just that its hard to confine yourself to one thing or let your brain grow in one direction...
but me thinks "optimism is the ears of the blind man... and hope - the music he hears as the light in his eyes fade away..." (naturally - that would be the 'optimistic' way of looking at it!)

Manshark said...

Anon again: you could have just told me all this?!? Y'know u've finally lost it, don't you?

Angel Eyes & savi3: Thank you :o)

Haren: Funny you should say that cos I recently told a frnd I'm gonna wait for someone to pass legislation banning anyone to work in the legal area..I guess the difference b/w your optimism and mine is - yours is internal and mine's external..guess I should think about that! Tnx :o)

Anonymous said...

YOU! STOP RE-DIRECTING YOUR SEX-STARVED VOYEURS TO MY PAGE! :p

Manshark said...

Oh, stop pretending..*sudden incoming thought* ..y'know you like 'em trawling thru your page! :op

halwis said...

:o
is that an inferrence that everyone (including my innocent self) who 'clicked' those two links are "sex-starved voyeurs"???

Anonymous said...

manshark: well of COURSE i do. but its also my duty to fight these fancies.

haren: not at-TALL. most voyeurs i get are fully sexed; and most sex starved people i get are NOT voyeurs either. its just the sex starved voyeurs i have issues with.
(EHEMA NEDA MANSHARK???)

Manshark said...

Jokerman: 'course it is! *pretends to believe him*

And don't drag me into your sex-starved discussions plz..I can't handlle these things which are MA (for Mature Audiences)..me being the innocent thing that I am! :op