Friday, January 26, 2007

The Mating Ritual of "Clubbing"

We all know that animals have various forms of mating rituals which are unquestioningly accepted by us “higher animals”. And we also know that us higher animals also have various forms of mating rituals which come in a variety of labels. But this was something I “knew” but didn’t really think about. Till I went clubbing a few weekends ago and “observed” the crowd.

The Onyx experience, being a girls’ night out, started off well enough with a round of Margaritas. It was way too crowded to dance and the girls refused to dance seeing as we'd likely get crushed to death in there. And so while we hung about waiting for the crowd to thin a bit I “observed” a lot. Then a couple of weeks later, at H2O, the boyf was meeting a bunch of friends he was seeing in ages and hence wanted to sit, drink and “talk” (meaning shout at each other) and so I was once again on the couch “observing” (and seriously contemplating trading in the boyf for a younger model who actually liked dancing to “talking”..grrr!). Since this was the first time I’d got a chance to watch the crowd rather than being a part of it, thought I should make some good use of it.

There were bunches of girls/ guys dancing and, more often than not, a few from these groups would glance a few times at a member of the opposite sex who was dancing nearby/ standing at the bar/ getting drunk with friends. And when this glancing succeeded in catching the target’s eye, the former would look away fast, but the grinding seemed to be done with much more enthusiasm than before. Then the glancing, trying to catch his/ her eye would resume till at some point, one approached the other (here, for some reason, it was mostly the girls doing the grinding,and guys the approaching). From then on, I can’t say what happened because my attention would move to another similar ritual happening nearby.

What struck me was that so many people seemed to be “meeting” others for the first time and seemingly “hitting it off” although anything that one communicated to the other had to be purely physical since the blare of various rhythms assured that no two people in there could “talk” to each other. And this is what got me thinking. Mostly because I suddenly made the connection between the couple grinding on the floor and single people I know who go clubbing hoping to meet the right girl/ guy.

Some people seemed to go clubbing not just to dance and have fun, as I had thought at first, but also to either pick up or be picked up (not just for the night, I mean) and come away disappointed when neither happens for some reason or full of hope when “something happened”. Since I've bene back, I've met so many single people who go out hoping to “meet the one”…and I suspect this is also why “just a dance”, a fling, a one-night stand will never do for them...for their goal is only for a longer dance, one that lasts a lifetime, it seems. Then is this not a mating ritual of a kind?

And it seems the difference between a person who takes part in this ritual and a person who does not is in the purpose/ intention of going clubbing – those who go out to have good night dancing with friends (old and new) and those who go to pick up/ be picked up with long-term hopes.

In these “modern” times, clubs open up, hire a DJ and dole out alcohol and whatever substances they can get away with making money off. And the music, the substances, seem to help move along this ritual.

For some reason, realizing this made me sad at first. But now that I’ve thought about it, there isn’t anything sad about it at all. It’s just another way I suppose of “meeting someone”…albeit having to have your first conversation shouting at each other…but then again, perhaps this sets the tone for the (hoped for) marriage. There doesn’t seem to be any rational reason for being sad about this for if any of these “matings” that happen on numerous dance floors in numerous clubs go the mile, then is it not indeed a perfectly natural ritual?

Why it seemed sad at first I think is perhaps because it reminded me so much of the peacock and its desperate, lonely dance when it would stand alone amidst dry, brown foliage, nose in the air, yet with tail feathers fanned out behind in all their glory. Proud, magnificent, yet desperately hoping someone would notice, stop by to say hello and dance the peacock dance with him.

9 comments:

Gledwood said...

In my day (this was in London in the 1990s) clubbing was very much to do with basically having a venue for your rushy-psychedelic experiences... don't know how much things may have changed now...

Do you have a club called Frantic in Melbourne?

Phil Reynolds?

Frantic was started up in London by a schoolteacher called Will. I know it did get an offsprout down under...

Drop by my blog if you like it's at
gledwood2.blogspot

Okay, take care man!!

Gledwood

SpectralCentroid said...

From what I know Sri Lankan clubs bars in general are not the best places to pick up girls. (I'm talking about picking up someone you just see for the first time at that place with no mutual friends.) Its a bit iffy due to one main reason. Almost always girls would come in with known guys, and guys are so damn protective regardless of whether they are bfs or regular friends. You never when one might even pull out a gun (I maybe exaggerating, but only a little) just for talking to their girl. That's just way too much potential trouble for jsut picking up a random girl.

Anonymous said...

interesting wt i've stumbled upon here eh.

i'd hardly observe others than engage in wt your saying myself. it happened naturaly at some level.

great post, you are very modest

Anonymous said...

No one gets up in the morning and thinks 'I don't want to swept off my feet by someone today'. With busy life-styles clubbing is, for all its imperfections, perhaps one of the more efficient ways of meeting people. This doesn't necessary make for quality though, just numbers - people looking for the same thing. Very often it ends up just being physical, no? I don't know about marriage. I can't think of anybody I know who met their future spouse at a club.

Anonymous said...

i can think of a few friends who met their spouse at a bar/club in colombo.. scary thought :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm…I havent really noticed this, which is strange considering I spend most of my time at Onyx up on the couches (still a bit hard to let go of the good old Glo days) and there’s a pretty good view from up there. Too be honest I think there is relatively little frequency of random people meeting up, its more like people who vaguely know each other somehow. Admittedly I am a bit old compared to the clubbing crowd these days so could be very wrong. But Spectralcentroid is spot on about the dangers of chatting random girls up, I have…cough…cough…first hand experience with that.

About the meeting up in clubs, in the West that’s pretty much the only place that we can meet girls on a regular basis, but after about 6 years of it I think we have come to the realization that there is never any opportunity of meeting anybody even remotely worthwile in a nightclub. At least in SL you may meet a girl in a club you usually have friends in common and can interact with them outside the club atmosphere, so its somewhat better.

Darwin said...

I generally tend to regard clubbing as a social-activity-with-friends-to-have-a good-night-out, rather than aiming to pick up/be picked up. That said I have been out a few times without any alcohol and I have to say it is completely depressing how people act in clubs. When I am slightly buzzed I don't notice it, but when you're stone cold sober, it's the sort of thing that makes you think 'seriously? this is what it's really like? Bloody hell, I'm never drinking or clubbing again!'

halwis said...

i caught a few peices of this while straining my own thoughts a while back... not just about clubbing though... how we meet new people in general these days... including this- blogs and virtual communities and what not... i thought it was "pathetic" it at first but sure... it seems natural enough... but then... what isn't no?

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

No one dances anymore :( Well no one has room to dance anymore.. i guess this is when i begin to appreciate the beach parties.. proper ones.. not fund raising ideas..