Friday, November 24, 2006

Today ;o(

Borrowed a car from a friend cos I needed to get some chores done (which could not be done on the bus!)..and I should have known something bad was gonna happen cos the entrance to the highway was closed and had to start my journey reversing more than 500 meters down the road to get to the next street since my street is one way.. Anyway, so on the way passed two dead birds and was starting to kinda wonder wtf was going on today when two streets before the destination, took a wrong turn, crashed into truck (an 8 wheeler!!) and got myself well and truly wedged between the engine bit and the loonnnggg bit that carries things (and I can't be bothered looking up what those bits are called so shall just call 'em "bits").

Did I die? No. But there was enough crunching to make me think I probably was dead even though a voice in my head kept sayin omg,omg,omg,omg over and over again ;o( A dude passing by stopped and drove me around the corner to a nearby petrol shed seeing as I was hardly managing to stay on my feet, nevermind get myself behind the wheel again. After this kindly stranger left, after making me promise that I will call a friend to pick me up, I proceeded to sit in the petrol shed for 45 minutes shaking..with that damned voice STILL going omg, omg, omg,omg..

I've been driving for the last 8 years and have never even come close to hitting something (nothing spectacular enough to remember at least), on Sri Lankan mad roads too mind, and then have to fucking wedge myself in a truck here on these neat wide roads a couple of weeks before I leave the country!! Arrgghh.

After all that drama I get home to a neat note left by the housemate which says that the internet at home won't be reconnected till at least mid mext week. Which means I'm going to have to live with this bloody omg-ing voice for the next 4 or 5 days without any other distraction, by the end of which I will surely be a raving lunatic.

Shit.Shit.SHIT.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Interesting blog!
So, since you did not die, although you temporarily thought you must have, what is your current view on living?

halwis said...

Seriouly, you are lucky! (No... but hear me out...) luckier if you had comprehensive insurance and in a position to afford the excess... but i say you are lucky because my experience is that people (even family) usually attend to the car before they notice me inside it (or under it)...

Turtle said...

!!!!

have you learned nothing from living in sri lanka with all the moosala signs ... starting the journey backwards, two dead birds .... moosala squared!!

Manshark said...

foxtrottinkate: Mmh..my current view on living? I've decided not to formulate a view on that..just to make sure I won't be tempted to hang myself too soon ;o)

mr evil: u read my mind - have been devouring (possibly) the best book I've ever read.. ;o) 'bout the accident tho..the more I think of it, the more I realize what a nitwit I am.. ;o(

haren: yea, thank god for CI..the truckie needs his wheel replaced apparently..which would have wiped out my bank account otherwise! In my personal experience, everyone notices the car before me anyway, accident or not, seeing as I'm not always visible over the steering wheel, the runt that I am! ;oD

Turtle: I did for a few minutes wonder about baadha and all that before deciding it was all just a bunch of crap ;o( well, one lives, one learns! The silver lining though - maybe this is good experience for "how to handle accidents" for when I get to Lanka - I heard the roundabout near Borella Kanatta is no more? ;oO

Turtle said...

yeah you'll learn all about the fun of U-turning

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

I learnt something from my dad after a bunch of accidents. That he always asks me how I am and not the car :) lol :) I never thought that much those days :) lol :)

Anonymous said...

"had to start my journey reversing more than 500 meters down the road to get to the next street since my street is one way.."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA oh my.. thank you for that moment. :)


"by the end of which I will surely be a raving lunatic."

HAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAAA too much! waaay too much! :) END of which? HAHAHAHAHAAHA....


ps. hope you're ok. HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAAA...

Manshark said...

Evil: parents will always be parents I guess! :o)

Jokerman: ..err..what are/ were u on??

Butterfly Wings said...

CHILD!!!!!!! why didn't you call me???????

Manshark said...

I know!! :o) This is the reaction every1 has when they find out..but honestly, it never occurred to me to call anyone :o( After the hour or so of shaking, I went about (quite nervously) finishing my chores and errands, came home, and then refused to get back into the car for ANY reason :o) till the friend forced me to..with all the "if you don't get back on the horse..." :os

Chamendra Wimalasena said...

True enough, true enough..